Introduction: celebrated on the 9th August, National Day celebrates the 52nd anniversary of Singapore’s independence. The parade usually features strong military participation, including flypasts and aerial displays. There are numerous rehearsals in the Marina Bay area in the run-up to the day.
Visitor information: the parade will be held at Marina Bay’s floating platform with capacity for 55,000 spectators. As such, the best viewing areas are next to the floating platform, although other vantage points around the bay are also accessible. The preview show and main event draw large crowds, and as such we strongly recommend visiting during a rehearsal session.
View rehearsal timings
- Tuesday 6 Jun | 08:00-13:00 | RSAF Internal Rehearsal
- Tuesday 13 Jun | 08:00-13:00 | RSAF Internal Rehearsal
- Tuesday 20 Jun | 08:00-13:00 | RSAF Internal Rehearsal
- Saturday 24 Jun | 17:30-20:30 | Combined Rehearsal
- Sunday 2 Jul | 17:30-20:30 | Combined Rehearsal
- Saturday 8 Jul | 17:30-20:30 | Combined Rehearsal / National Education Show
- Saturday 15 Jul | 17:30-20:30 | Combined Rehearsal / National Education Show
- Saturday 22 Jul | 17:30-20:30 | Combined Rehearsal / National Education Show
- Saturday 29 Jul | 17:30-20:30 | National Day Preview 2017
- Wednesday 9 Aug| 17:30-20:30 | National Day Parade 2017
2017 preview: this year’s NDP will include perennial favourites, including the state flag flypast featuring a Chinook and two Apaches and the Salute to the Nation fighter flypast. Also making a welcome return is a role demonstration featuring a CH-47 Chinook inserting Naval divers into the bay. Unique to this year’s show is limited aerobatics by F-15SG Strike Eagles performing an opposition break over the crowd and high-G orbit of the city centre area. F-15s will also be performing the Salute to the Nation bomb burst for the first time. Following the aerial display at around 20:00 will be the traditional fireworks display.
Displays and aircraft (in order of participation):
- RSAF Red Lions parachute drop
- Chinook role demonstration | x1 CH-47 Chinook
- Dynamic Defence Display | x3 F-15SG Strike Eagle & x2 AH-64D Apache
- State flag flypast | x1 CH-47 Chinook & x2 AH-64D Apache
- Salute to the Nation | x5 F-15SG Strike Eagle
Our coverage: This is Flight will report from NDP 2017 with videos only, featuring the internal and combined rehearsal sessions.
Videos from past NDP flypasts: